Registration is now closed. Please check back in 2020 for next year's competiton.
FOR FUTURE MISS AKRON CANTON CANDIDATES (scroll down for TEEN information):
How can I qualify to compete?
Females ages 17-25 (no older than 25 on December 31, 2020)
· Live in Stark, Summit, Carroll, or Portage county – currently living in these counties or permanent residence (i.e. parents’ home) in these counties
· Go to school in Stark, Summit, Carroll, or Portage county
· Work full-time in Stark, Summit, Carroll, or Portage county
What are the areas of competition?
· Talent – a 90 second on-stage performance; talents may include (but not limited to): singing, dancing, musical instruments, dramatic monologues, baton, etc.
· Private Interview – a 10 minute interview with a panel of 5-7 judges; contestants submit a resume and platform statement; questions typically relate to contestant’s resume, platform, current events, and social issues
· On-Stage Interview - follow up question(s) from your private interview with the judges asked on-stage in front of the audience
· Evening Wear/Red Carpet - presentation of evening wear (gown, pantsuit, etc.) in a red carpet format, share a prepared brief statement about your social impact initiative with the audience and judges
What do I need to do to compete?
1. Sign up! Fill out the application above.
2. Decide on a social impact initiative – a charity, organization, cause, or issue that you support; dedicate time and effort to building your social impact initiative – volunteer, fundraise, network, learn more about the topic, etc.
3. Decide on your talent – choose a song/title to submit on your paperwork
4. Fill out all application paperwork – use templates provided to create your contestant resume, platform statement, talent introduction, etc. and submit to the Candidate Coordinator
5. Attend forum (late summer 2019) – learn more about all areas of competition, meet the Miss Akron Canton team, meet fellow candidates
6. Fundraise $100 for Children’s Miracle Network
7. Develop and rehearse your talent
8. Read/watch/listen to the news and prepare for interview
9. Select your wardrobe: interview attire, talent costume, evening wear
10. Show up on October 19, 2019 ready to have fun!
Why should I participate?
· SCHOLARSHIPS! You don’t have to win to win a scholarship. Scholarships will be awarded to Miss Akron Canton, her runners-up, talent winner, and interview winner
· A chance to compete at Miss Ohio – Miss Akron Canton is a preliminary to Miss Ohio, which is a preliminary to Miss America
· Meet new people – women who compete are well-rounded and motivated, many friendships are made through participation in the Miss America Organization
· Develop important skills – interview, public speaking, stage presence, resume writing – these are all skills that are fostered through participation in the program
FOR FUTURE MISS AKRON CANTON'S OUTSTANDING TEEN CONTESTANTS:
WHO CAN COMPETE?
· Teenage Girls age 13-17, who have not yet graduated from high school and will not turn 18 before July 31st of 2020
· Must live or go to school in Stark, Summit, Portage, or Carroll county
AREAS OF COMPETITION
· Private Interview: 6 minute private interview with judges
· Talent: 90 second performance
· On-stage Question and Evening Wear
· Lifestyle and Fitness: choreographed fitness routine
WHY SHOULD I PARTICIPATE?
· Scholarships – you don’t need to win to win a scholarship, all scholarship money is held until you enroll in a college or university program and is applied directly to educational expenses
· New Skills – develop interview skills, stage presence, physical fitness, community service involvement and other valuable skills
· New People – meet teens who share similar interests, many long-lasting friendships are developed through participation in the Miss America’s Outstanding Teen program
· A Chance to Compete at Miss Ohio’s Outstanding Teen – Miss Akron Canton’s Outstanding Teen is a preliminary to Miss Ohio’s Outstanding Teen, which is a preliminary to Miss America’s Outstanding Teen; entry fee to state competition is paid by Miss Akron Canton’s Outstanding Teen Program
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO PREPARE?
· Sign up! Apply above.
· Complete provided paperwork and submit to Contestant Coordinator with your $100 entry fee. **Entry fees are a fundraiser for the Miss Akron Canton Scholarship Program**
· Attend forum (late summer 2019) – learn more about all areas of competition, meet the Miss Akron Canton team, ask any questions you or your parents may have
· Develop your platform: an organization, cause, or issue that you support – begin learning about your platform topic, volunteering, fundraising, advocating, etc.
· Choose a talent: a 90 second performance – common talents include: vocals, dance, instrumental, monologues, etc.; submit your music to Contestant Coordinator
· Watch/listen/read the news, prepare for interview
· Choose your wardrobe: interview outfit, talent costume, evening wear, and fitness attire
· Come to the pageant on October 19, 2019 ready to have fun!